Dr. Laura Schlessinger, the incredibly popular and controversial psychotherapist and radio talk host, urges women to pick one of the “good guys,” to stay home and parent the babies they’ve made, and to follow the dream rather than some dreamboat. Using real-world examples from her radio show and private practice, she exhorts women not to blame anybody but themselves if they’re unhappy. If you’re prepared to take a clear-eyed look at your behavior and to make the move to a quality existence, there’s no one better than Schlessinger to keep you honest and to cheer you on.
10 Stupid Things Women Do to Mess Up Their Lives uses real-world examples from Schlessinger’s radio show and private practice to drive the message home. And the message is that our reticence to be bold and brave often makes us act like stupid, submissive victims. Once we muster the courage to take responsibility for our own problems and to tolerate the discomforts of risk, the possibilities for personal growth and joy are limitless.
One thing’s for sure: You’ll never look at your relationships, behaviors and decisions the same way after you’ve finished reading this book.
The Ten Stupid Things Are:
- Stupid Attachment – Looking to the context of a man to find and define yourself
- Stupid Courtship – Becoming a beggar, not a chooser, in the dating ritual because you are desperate.
- Stupid Devotion – Finding yourself driven to love, and suffer, and succor (or is that “sucker”?) in vain.
- Stupid Passion – Having sex too soon and setting yourself up to be burned
- Stupid Cohabitation – Lying to yourself and living with him because you hope he’ll want you
- Stupid Expectations – Using marriage as a quick fix for low or no self-esteem
- Stupid Conception – Using biology misguidedly as a jump-start for love, personal growth, and commitment
- Stupid Subjugation – Allowing you and your children to be held hostage by your own obsessive need for security and attachment
- Stupid Helplessness – Being too scared and insecure to deal with your rage and turning it into wimpyness instead.
- Stupid Forgiving – Not knowing when to break off a no-win relationship or how to not get involved in the first place.