We all feel down once in a while. Here are a few tips to help you get back up quickly.
1. Practice upbeat communication! Make an effort to greet people in a positive way because people typically reflect the tone of your greeting back to you. This applies to your close family and friends, as well as casual acquaintances. You can’t spread sunshine without getting a little on yourself.
2. Learn something new and interesting! Develop a new hobby or learn how to do something you have always been interested in. You’ll be amazed at how much more exciting life is when you are involved in something interesting.
3. Act positive! Have you ever noticed that if you mope around the house, acting tired and depressed, you feel even more tired and depressed? But if you get up and act enthusiastic about life, even if it is only an act at first, pretty soon, you will feel enthusiastic. In other words, fake it until it becomes true. Shakespeare said it more eloquently, when he counseled, “assume a virtue, if you have it not” (Hamlet 3:4). Act positively and you will eventually feel more upbeat.
4. Decide to be happy! Make a conscious decision to look for the positive. Abraham Lincoln once said, “Most people are about as happy as they decide to be.” If you look around, you will discover that everyone has challenges and heartbreaks; and everyone has good things in their life, too. The issue is not the problem–everyone has problems of one type or another–it is our reaction to the problem. Will you choose to respond positively, no matter what life hands you, and then focus on the good things that are happening? Or, will you choose to react negatively, and focus on what’s wrong? The decision is yours.
5. Give yourself a break! Remember, YOU are the only one who can help your attitude. You can’t depend on other people, or wait for your circumstances to change, to get you out of the dumps. Take time to give yourself the break you deserve. Stop criticizing yourself or blaming yourself for everything that goes wrong. Remember, you are doing some things right too! Just be positive, and keep doing the best you can.
Success Tip: When you wake up tomorrow morning, jump out of bed and say, “I feel great! It’s a fantastic day to be alive!” Say it with conviction, and in no time it will be a great day. Of course you’ll feel a little silly, that’s OK. It sure beats dragging out of bed mumbling, “today’s going to be another lousy day, just like yesterday.” No, choose the happy path. Follow these 5 simple ideas and watch your attitude (and your altitude) soar!